Property Management Blog

Carbon Monoxide Safety

System - Monday, February 9, 2015

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that interferes with the delivery of oxygen in the blood to the rest of the body. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels.It can be emitted by combustion sources such as unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, furnaces, woodstoves, gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters, automobile exhaust from attached garages, and tobacco smoke.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

● headache ● dizziness ● weakness ● confusion ● fatigue

How Do I Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

  • M​ake sure chimneys, fireplaces and other areas are annually inspected and cleaned by a certified technician.
  • Do not use ovens or gas ranges to heat your home.
  • Never leave a lawn mower or car running in an enclosed space.
  • Have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. If the alarm goes off, check that it is the carbon monoxide monitor and check for poisoning symptoms. Clear out of area immediately if someone is experiencing symptoms and seek medical attention.
  • If safe, thoroughly ventilate your home and call your gas company provider to report a leak.
How Do I Treat Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows. Turn off combustion appliances and leave the house. Go to an emergency room. Be sure to tell the physician that you suspect CO poisoning.


The Housing Group • 886 Lanier Ave W • Fayetteville, GA 30214 • Leasing Line: 770.716.9000

Copyright © 2019 The Housing Group. All Rights Reserved. Website by Property Management Websites.